Audio Issues - DTS to AC3 Causes Audio to Cut In/Out

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Have some files that are simply too big for my server, and frankly, movies that I don't need to have that big a file for.

So, been using VidCoder (Handbrake, same thing but I like it better) to convert with and for the most part it's been working great however, I've noticed lately that the audio about half the time, seems to have spots where the audio cuts in/out, that sorta static popping sound.

I'm changing the DTS 5.1 down to AC3 5.1, bitrate 640, sample rate same as source, no gain changes.

Not sure what's happening... I'll reencode the video to MP4 at around 4,000kbps, 2-pass, high priority, medium speed, same as source FPS... I know, constant quality is "better" but I don't have the time to reencode a movie 2-3x at 9h a conversion to get the size down where I want. Video quality wise I am very happy with the results so, not an issue.

Basically... just trying to figure out why the audio is coming out crappy. Should I use AAC? Different settings? I don't recall having these issue before, but then again, maybe I did and just now noticing it.
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM
So, I ran a little experiment yesterday...

I used Popcorn to convert to AC3 5.1 @640kbps and kept the original DTS file.

I then ran VidCoder and

1 - Did a passthrough for the Popcorn coverted AC3 file
2 - Added a track that was the DTS file converted to AC3
3 - Added a track that was the DTS file converted to AAC Pro Logic II

The Popcorn file... no issues, sounds great.

The two files converted from DTS with VidCoder were both garbage. Not sure why... never an issue before... maybe it's the source file and VidCoder doesn't like how it was made? or just VidCoder not doing a good job the past few releases?

Kind of a pain to do the extra step though... I'll basically have to use Popcorn to convert the audio file, then use VidCoder to re-encode the video with the audio set to passthrough. Not the end of the world but, would be nice to figure out why it's being a pain.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM
The HandBrake API handles the specific audio encoding. You might try the same encode in HandBrake to see if it's an issue in the HandBrake engine or it's a problem with the VidCoder integration.
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:21 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2015 at 1:22 AM
I'll try that this weekend... hopefully I don't have to switch to Handbrake... I have some good presets in VidCoder, and I like how VidCoder allows to pick a destination file size, or when you put in the bitrate, it shows what the end file size will be. Very convenient.
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Yeah I just want to know for diagnostic purposes. I'll try to get it fixed if it's an issue with VidCoder.
Apr 25, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Same issue with Handbrake... tried the file today and same deal.

Hmm... doesn't always happen so, not sure if it's handbrake's converting? or just something handbrake dislikes about how these DTS files were made?