1

Closed

Lost communication with worker process

description

Had this error in the stable release as well as the latest beta. Here is the full log message:
# Lost communication with worker process: System.TimeoutException: This request operation sent to net.pipe://localhost/030434f8-ed56-4fef-a38f-a67a8e2ab9d6/VidCoderWorker did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:00:05).  The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.  This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message.  Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.SyncDuplexRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at VidCoderWorker.IHandBrakeEncoder.Ping()
   at VidCoder.EncodeProxy.<>c__DisplayClass7.<StartEncode>b__6(Object o, ElapsedEventArgs e) in d:\docs\projects\VidCoder\VidCoder\Utilities\EncodeProxy.cs:line 156
# Encode failed.
Tried various Worker Process Priority settings in the latest beta but got the same result.

I was able to convert a different file earlier in the stable release without issue. The only difference between that file and the one I'm trying to convert now is that the successful file was ripped using MakeMKV whereas the file that fails was ripped using DVDLab. Looking at the mediainfo for each file, the MakeMKV file's writing library is libebml v1.2.2 + libmatroska v1.3.0, and DVDLab's is libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1. Not sure if that makes a difference or not but thought it would be good to include any variables.

UPDATE: After disabling my overclocked settings in my BIOS, I was able to successfully encode the file. I find it strange though that it would fail when overclocked as it proved to be stable with a 12+ hour Prime95 test. I've done a memory stress test as well and everything checked out OK, so the issue seems to possibly be a high clock rate affecting the communication of the worker process?
Closed Mar 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM by RandomEngy
Reported as fixed

comments

RandomEngy wrote Mar 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Interesting. I don't know why overclocking would cause the worker process communication to fail. As far as I can tell I'm not doing anything super-fancy with the named pipe communication.

RandomEngy wrote Mar 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

The error seems to indicate that a process ping timed out and the process failed to send an encode update for 10 seconds. Did this happen at the very start of the encode or somewhere in the middle? Wondering if giving a larger timeout window would help.

mikeveli20 wrote Mar 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM

It was difficult to pinpoint exactly when it happened, but I'd say it happened sooner rather than later during the encode. I'd say 65-70% of the time it would fail right after finishing the 1st chapter, where the other 30% of the time it would happen anywhere between chapters 2 and 8 with a 30 chapter average being the length of the original movie.

RandomEngy wrote Mar 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Hmm okay then it's not a problem with the encode booting up. Tell you what, I'll bump up the timeout to 20 seconds in the next version and see if that helps you at all.

RandomEngy wrote Mar 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Okay see what happens in VidCoder 1.4.16 Beta. It might help if the problem was just a temporary hiccup.

mikeveli20 wrote Mar 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Ok, I'll give it a shot within the next few days. Currently in the process of doing some long sector tests on a bunch of hard drives so once that's done I'll test it out.

mikeveli20 wrote Mar 29, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Tested out the latest beta and did not encounter any issues with or without the processor being overclocked so looks like increasing the timeout helped get things back on track. Thanks!