This project is read-only.
1
Vote

Chapter name encoding - VidCoder-1.5.18-Beta-x64

description

Hi,

I wanted to convert my DVD with chapters.
Converting was successful, but the encoding of chapter names had a mistake.

When I named a chapter as "Köszöntő", it displayed as "KöszöntĹ‘" in the m4v file.
Of course MPC or VLC can show the chapter list correctly but my AppleTV can't. :)

It seems that a different character encoding is used in the GUI and in the m4v file.

Could you please help me?

Regards,
xlabu

comments

RandomEngy wrote Apr 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

It may be a problem with AppleTV if MPC and VLC show it without issue. Do you get the same issue when you encode the m4v with HandBrake?

xlabu wrote Apr 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Yes, I got the same with HandBrake.

I found these notes in the log:
[14:34:33] mpeg2: "Köszöntő" (1) at frame 0 time 10800
[14:34:33] sync: first pts is 10800
[14:38:44] mpeg2: "Intro" (2) at frame 3912 time 14094000
[14:43:32] mpeg2: "A halál dalol" (3) at frame 8592 time 30942000
[14:51:06] reader: end of chapter 3 (media 3) reached at media chapter 4

So it was similar to add .srt encoded in Windows-1250 instead of UTF-8.

I tried a character converter to check my assumption:

Source (WINDOWS-1250)
Köszöntő

Converted result (UTF-8)
Köszöntő

Unfortunately I was right :(

RandomEngy wrote Apr 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM

If HandBrake is having the same issue you might be able to ask them to fix it.