Disabling crop causes codec error when file is played-back

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:13 AM

I just installed VidCoder and Handbrake this AM for the first time. Actually, I tried Handbrake some months ago and found it too complicated, hence my interest in VidCoder. My goal is to take content I download off the 'net, transcode it, copy it to a thumbdrive and playback on my Samsung HDTV.

As a test, I took a 960x540 AVI file (http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mcleod/didyouknow/Did_You_Know_NEW.avi) and transcoded it with all defaults using the "High Profile" preset.  It played-back on my HDTV just fine, but it was cropped on all four sides.

I modified the "High Profile" preset by selecting the Custom Cropping radio button (which sets all crops to zero) and re-ran the transcode.  Upon playback, I receive an "Unsupported Codec" error.  This is different from another "Unsupported Resolution" error I've received with other transcoders and other files.

At first glance, it appears that VidCoder is passing-on to Handbrake some unintended parameters when Custom Cropping is selected and the crops are set to zero.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Not sure, but I might have found something that may collaborate your problems when it comes to cropping. I tested a few movies as well, I disabled cropping because I wanted to have the files kept as close to the original as possible.

However when playing the movies afterwards, running time is reported to be 13 hours 15minutes and 20 (or 21) seconds, regardless of how long they actually are. They play fine and the quality is fine as well, but if you use VLC or Windows Media Player to play, the search bar is much smaller. Quicktime player however seems to be able to figure out how long the runtime actually is. Not sure if it is because of cropping, but I figured it might have something to do with that.

I found the preset that I'm using under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\VidCoder\UserPresets For XP I'm guessing Users should be replaced with "Documents and settings" and AppData is probably replaced by "Application Data", but don't have an xp computer nearby so can't check that right now.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<UserPreset Version="1">
  <Preset xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
    <Name>test24</Name>
    <IsBuiltIn>false</IsBuiltIn>
    <IsModified>false</IsModified>
    <EncodingProfile>
      <OutputFormat>Mp4</OutputFormat>
      <PreferredExtension>M4v</PreferredExtension>
      <IncludeChapterMarkers>false</IncludeChapterMarkers>
      <LargeFile>false</LargeFile>
      <Optimize>false</Optimize>
      <IPod5GSupport>false</IPod5GSupport>
      <Width>0</Width>
      <Height>0</Height>
      <MaxWidth>0</MaxWidth>
      <MaxHeight>0</MaxHeight>
      <CustomCropping>true</CustomCropping>
      <Cropping>
        <Top>0</Top>
        <Bottom>0</Bottom>
        <Left>0</Left>
        <Right>0</Right>
      </Cropping>
      <Anamorphic>Strict</Anamorphic>
      <UseDisplayWidth>false</UseDisplayWidth>
      <DisplayWidth>0</DisplayWidth>
      <KeepDisplayAspect>false</KeepDisplayAspect>
      <PixelAspectX>0</PixelAspectX>
      <PixelAspectY>0</PixelAspectY>
      <Modulus>16</Modulus>
      <Deinterlace>Off</Deinterlace>
      <Decomb>Off</Decomb>
      <Detelecine>Off</Detelecine>
      <Denoise>Off</Denoise>
      <Deblock>0</Deblock>
      <Grayscale>false</Grayscale>
      <VideoEncoder>X264</VideoEncoder>
      <X264Options>ref=2:mixed-refs=0:bframes=2:weightb=0:subq=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0</X264Options>
      <VideoEncodeRateType>ConstantQuality</VideoEncodeRateType>
      <Quality>20</Quality>
      <TargetSize>0</TargetSize>
      <VideoBitrate>0</VideoBitrate>
      <TwoPass>false</TwoPass>
      <TurboFirstPass>false</TurboFirstPass>
      <Framerate>0</Framerate>
      <AudioEncodings>
        <AudioEncoding>
          <InputNumber>1</InputNumber>
          <Encoder>Faac</Encoder>
          <Bitrate>160</Bitrate>
          <Mixdown>DolbySurround</Mixdown>
          <SampleRate>48</SampleRate>
          <Drc>0</Drc>
        </AudioEncoding>
        <AudioEncoding>
          <InputNumber>1</InputNumber>
          <Encoder>Ac3Passthrough</Encoder>
          <Bitrate>0</Bitrate>
          <Mixdown>DolbyProLogicII</Mixdown>
          <Drc>0</Drc>
        </AudioEncoding>
      </AudioEncodings>
    </EncodingProfile>
  </Preset>
</UserPreset>

PS! Don't mean to hijack the thread, just thinking that since I didn't use cropping either, that it would confirm your suspicions as well, that Vidcoder is passing on unintended parameters when using customer cropping. If this is an unrelated issue I'll create a new thread for that.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM
It's good to see ANYONE else post here. ;-) I guess if/when the author takes a look at our postings, we'll see if they are related or should split into separate threads. I can only assume they have the ability to manipulate the posts. In the mean time, I've given-up on using VidCoder, though I have no alternative which works. Each time I try something, it'll fail. I had one file playback, but the bottom half of the image was nothing but noisy green crap. That could have been Handbrake, not VidCoder.
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Sorry I missed your posts! Turns out I only had email notification on for Issues, not Discussions. Not sure what's going on with your custom cropping issue. HandBrake only takes 4 integer values for cropping. If CustomCropping is true, I pass in the profile values (0 in this case) and if not I'll use the automatic values determined by HandBrake. When I get a chance to work on it I'll look at your file.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM
RandomEngy wrote:

Sorry I missed your posts! Turns out I only had email notification on for Issues, not Discussions. Not sure what's going on with your custom cropping issue. HandBrake only takes 4 integer values for cropping. If CustomCropping is true, I pass in the profile values (0 in this case) and if not I'll use the automatic values determined by HandBrake. When I get a chance to work on it I'll look at your file.

To be fair, I'm finding my Samsung HDTV's video support via a USB drive to be very picky about containers, encoders, and sizes.  For example, it cannot handle dimensions which are not standard, so letterboxing is needed to pad the size to a standard dimension.  More times than not, I cannot get it to work.

FYI, here is a table of it's support:

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Extension

Video Decoder

Resolution

Audio codec

avi

Xvid

800X600

PCM

ADPCM

H.264 MP

1920X1080

AC3

MPEG4 SP

800X600

PCM

ADPCM

MPEG4 ASP

800X600

ADPCM

MJPEG

800X600

PCM

mp4

H.264 BP

1920X1080

AAC

H.264 MP

1920X1080

PCM

AAC

mpg

MPEG2

1920X1080

AC3

Vro

vob

MPEG2

1920X1080

AC3

Extension Video Decoder Resolution Audio codec
avi
Xvid 800X600 PCM
ADPCM
H.264 MP 1920X1080 AC3
MPEG4 SP 800X600 PCM
ADPCM
MPEG4 ASP 800X600 ADPCM
MJPEG 800X600 PCM
mp4
H.264 BP 1920X1080 AAC
H.264 MP 1920X1080 PCM
AAC
mpg MPEG2 1920X1080 AC3
vro
vob MPEG2 1920X1080 AC3
Coordinator
May 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I don't see anything fishy about the way I'm passing in the cropping parameters. I think this is mostly a playback issue. Let me know if it's something that the normal HandBrake client gets right that's broken with VidCoder.