Target Size and Folder Browsing

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Many thanks for this solution. Couple of issues as I used it for the first time.

Version: 0.4.1.0 Windows VISTA x64

1. Destination: Select Output Path -- When I select this option to choose my output path I get a Browse Folder box that only shows the Desktop option and will not allow me to browse to any other folder on my system. Same issue under TOOLS - OPTIONS - OUTPUT FILES - DESTINATION FOLDER. Selecting the Browse function only shows the Desktop icon. At least here I can manually enter the directory path.

2. SOURCE Selection -- Selecting the VIDEO FILES source allows me to browse my computer and network to choose the video file for conversion. Selecting the DVD/VIDEO_TS Folder option brings up the Browse Folder box which only shows the Desktop option. I can not browse to any destination on my system or network that has VIDEO_TS folders.  I have most of my DVD collection online in VIDEO_TS folders and would like to be able to browse to them. Is that possible?

3. TARGET SIZE: The target size option in Encoding - Video - Quality settings is not working properly. I selected a file size of 512MB and the resulting video had a file size of 763MB.

I hope I can receive some assistance with these issues and it would greatly enhance my user experience.

Many thanks for the solution.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Not sure what's happening with the folder dialogs. Those are just common system dialogs and I'm not sure why they'd be messed up for you. I'd love to tackle the problem but it's working fine for me.

As for the target size, could you give me your encoding settings? They should be under Start -> Run -> %appdata%\VidCoder\UserPresets

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:52 PM
I am unsure of the Browse Folder issue as well. It works fine on the Video File Source selection, but not on the DVD/VIDEO_TS Source selection. Should I be able to browse to a VIDEO_TS folder that is on a hard drive or on a network shared drive?
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Your file selection dialog seems to be working, but not your folder selection dialog. It should just bring up the standard folder dialog: this works for folders on your hard drive but I have not tried network drives.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Using Video Files selection I am able to browse to both files on my local hard drive and files on network share drives.  I am not able to access either a local folder or network folder when using the DVD/VIDEO_TS source selection.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I have the same problem using Vista 32bit: I am able to browse to files using Video Files selection but  I am not able to access anything other than my Desktop using the DVD/VIDEO_TS source selection.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I tried in Windows 7 32bit: It works fine. Seems to be a Vista issue. My Version is 0.4.1.0

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Presento,

Thanks for the reply. 

I am running Win Vista 64-Bit.  Guess it is a Vista issue, whether 32-Bit or 64-Bit.  Too bad.  It is a nice program.  Wish I could utilize its full functionality.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Thanks for isolating the OS issue. I don't have a Vista install around to get a repro on but I'll investigate and see if there's any known issues with the folder browser dialog I'm using. In the meantime you could try dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto the main window. I think that should work around the problem.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Alright I'm replacing the folder browser dialog code for the next version. It exposes the new, more powerful folder picker available in Vista as well.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:47 PM

RandomEngy,

Many thanks.  That is a welcome update.

Any ETA on your next release?

Jun 20, 2010 at 7:21 PM
RandomEngy wrote:

Thanks for isolating the OS issue. I don't have a Vista install around to get a repro on but I'll investigate and see if there's any known issues with the folder browser dialog I'm using. In the meantime you could try dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto the main window. I think that should work around the problem.

RandomEngy,

Thanks for the workaround suggestion.  Dragging the VIDEO_TS folder from Windows Explorer on my network share to the main window of Vidcoder does seem to work.  Running an encode of a VIDEO_TS folder as I type this.

Cheers!!

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM
blade005 wrote:

RandomEngy,

Many thanks.  That is a welcome update.

Any ETA on your next release?

Depends on when I have time to work on it. I'd guess within a couple weeks.

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM

New folder browser added in 0.5.0 and target size is fixed in 0.5.1. Again, thanks for the report. :)