Feature Request - Use Windows Media libs for input

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I'm an avid user of handbrake but mostly on other platforms, Mac and Linux. But there's one video format it can't read and transcode from - VC1-interlaced. (Well, there's probably more than one, but this is the one that matters to me. :-))

I'm not holding my breath for support for this to be included in ffmpeg, which HandBrake uses to read source videos. But given VidCoder has a strong Windows focus, I thought it might be worth asking *here* if it could be given an option to use the Windows Media libraries as included in Windows 7 and with Windows Media Player on earlier versions, to read the source video content and deliver raw video frames to the HandBrake (and ultimately x264) encoder.

I'm afraid I have no idea if the hb libs allow decoded video data to come from some source external to it for encoding, but if so, maybe this is possible? I'm currently using RipBot264 to do this job, but while some stuff works well with that, it lacks some functionality Handbrake possesses (decomb/detelecine) which I think would solve problems I get with some blurays.

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Yeah you can't hook into the HandBrake APIs that way. You give them a source path and it does the work. Blu-ray ripping is coming in the next version but I don't know if that supports VC1-interlaced.