this is a strange problem, and very specific. it's a problem which i've had before, which disappeared quite a few builds ago, and is now back (i'll explain more about that later).
videos i have encoded with the latest build do not play with audio in Mediaportal 1.1 with SAF5.0 codecs (the popular Directshow codec pack specifically designed for use with MP to make it work easily and well for all media). i think it's a splitter problem,
Haali splitter is used in this pack (not sure which version). the videos just play silently, and if i check the audio menu in MP it does not show any audio tracks.
the audio is definitely there though - if i play the file in VLC it plays fine, and if i open the file in mediainfo the audio track is there, and it looks identical to audio tracks from other videos encoded from earlier builds which do play fine. but in
Mediaportal, with the Directshow codecs, these videos do not play with audio.
i can fix the problem by loading a broken video into MKVmerge and re-muxing it. the resulting output then plays fine.
as i said, i had this problem with some older videos in the past, but this didn't become apparent until i switched from another codec pack to the SAF one (the other codecs were not giving me hardware DXVA), and suddenly a load of my videos didn't play. so
the problem may well just be in this codec pack somewhere. i tracked the problem down to the handbrake svn number written on the "writing application" when checking the video in mediainfo. those of certain builds only exhibited the problem. i fixed
them by re-muxing them in MKVmerge, and that was (i thought) the end of it.
since updating VC to 0.8.1 the problem has returned for my latest encodes. i have about 25 videos encoded over the last few days which do not play correctly, even though the audio is there. checking the same info in mediainfo again, the newest videos which
play fine say "handbrake svn3654" for writing application. those that say "handbrake svn3735" give me this audio problem, and only play correctly if i re-mux them using MKVmerge