Cant skip fw/bw with Xtreamer

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I have used VidCoder to convert videos (to mp4/MKV format) to play on my Xtreamer ( ). Xtreamer allows to skip fixed amounts of time : +3mn, -1mn +30s, -10s . This feature works with all video formats I tried, I never thought it could ever behave erraticly.

The issue with the MKVs I generated with VidCoder is that my Xtreamer is unable to skip forward or backward. Instead, the video enters a fast forward mode I can only stop by stopping play back altogether. These MKS play fine on VLC.

I use the following settings (based on High Profile preset). What am I missing ?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<UserPreset Version="3">
  <Preset xmlns:xsi="" xmlns:xsd="">
    <Name>À ma sauce</Name>

Help anyone ?

Thanks !

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I found out just now I could not skip to timed position either (Xtreamer allows to go to a given time).

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM

When you say it works with all video formats you've tried...I'm just curious, what were they, and what program were they created with?  By the way, if you are shooting for a target file size, i suggest using 2-pass (with or without turbo mode...turbo mode should be fine, and a lot quicker).  Also curious...why are you mixing down the audio.  Does the xtreamer not support ac3 audio?

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM

My Xtreamer is able to read and skip fixed amounts of time to any video format I tried. I did not make a thourough survey about which video/audio formats were compatible with the skip feature as all did, and I took it for granted. These videos come for the regular p2p pool (so divx/xvid/DVD Rip (VOB/MPEG2)/h264/mp4, AAC/MP3/OGG and whatnot). When my Xtreamer could not skip ahead on "vidcoded" files, I wonder what was wrong with these files, not why that feature worked on all other files, and I suspected wrong settings from my part.

It surprises me you tell me I use fixed target size and why do I mix down audio, as I had the impression I was doing none of those !

So, I reviewed my settings and realized I did mix down audio to aac/Dolby. No idea why, probably the end result of semi-cluesless fiddling with settings in attempt to reduce the file size. I'll use passthrough from now on.

But I do not aim for a fixed targetsize : I chose<VideoEncodeRateType>ConstantQuality</VideoEncodeRateType>

I am in the process of ripping my DVD collection, which takes way too much space in the living room, and is much less convenient than a multimedia server; I though Vidcoder was the way to go. I still do, with a little help from my friends :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM

DOH!  You are right, I see now you chose constant quality.  I saw target size of 2000 and jumped to conclusions.  I've never seen this kind of printout of settings laid out in the way you have here.  I am a long-time handbrake user but new to do you export/copy the settings in this way?

I'm sorry, but I don't have much to offer as far as I've never used (now hearing about it for the first time) the xtreamer.  There are so many different dlna streaming devices coming out now it's hard to keep track.  I still just use a good ol' p.c. (with eSata dock) and a ps3.  Do they have a forum on their website?  vidcoder (which is based on handbrake's code) is a great encoding tool.  It shouldn't "mess" up your files in any way.  It is probably producing higher quality rips than the psp files you successfully played before.  Maybe the bitrate is too high for it to handle skipping forward?  Like I said, I use the ps3 for streaming (via a free software called ps3mediaserver).  I know when I am streaming bigger, more bandwidth intensive files, I sometimes have a similar problem with the jumping ahead.  It's like it is too much for the network and device to handle.  I dunno.  Or maybe one of the high profile settings of x264 is breaking compatibility ever so slightly.  I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.  Maybe the developer here might have a suggestion for you.  Good luck.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM

This issue is still on.

All the videos I have converted have this problem with my Xtreamer, but only these videos have this problem: I can't skip forward/backward, which is very annoying.

Can anyone help ?

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM

The HandBrake forums/IRC might be able to help you here. I don't know enough about the nuances of playback compatibility to give good advice on this.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Your reply just gave me the idea to try to reproduce the bug (or not) with Handbrake GUI !

If I can't, this is a VidCoder issue

If I can, this is a handbrake issue.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ok, same problem with Handbrake Gui. I'll try the handbrake forum.

Thanks !

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Got a reply from the Xtreamer forum:

[quote]The Xtreamer's Realtek A/V decoding chip-sets does not support VFR (Variable Frame Rate) video.[/quote]

This means I can't leave "Same as source" for Video/Framerate, and I have to pick one.

And this leads to other matters: Variable Frame Rate Detelecine ...

Not sure what to do now with my videos (I intended to rip my own DVD collection). Can you help me decide what Framerate I should use?

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

This handbrake forum entry is also very useful:

I do not want my MKVs to have a variable frame rate

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I would try to pick whatever framerate the source roughly is. 29.97 for NTSC/TV, 23.976 for movies. The Input info pane on the Video tab might tell you this.