Encode fails, vidcoder crashes

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I'm attempting to convert an uncompressed avi to mp4. After selecting the source video, I click encode (using default settings) it instantly says complete and checking the error log gives me the following:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at VidCoder.Services.FileService.LaunchFile(String fileName) in D:\docs\projects\VidCoder\VidCoder\Services\FileService.cs:line 140
   at VidCoder.View.MainWindow.HandleCompletedItemDoubleClick(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e) in D:\docs\projects\VidCoder\VidCoder\View\MainWindow.xaml.cs:line 484
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Control.OnMouseDoubleClick(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Control.HandleDoubleClick(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseDownThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Any ideas? My system has no d:\docs folder, so I don't know what that's about in the error log.

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Thanks for the report. Could I possibly get a small sample file that causes this behavior? I think the encode is failing in the HandBrake core but somehow VidCoder isn't picking up on that. Would be nice to have a file to work with to fix this.

Oh and double clicking the result is supposed to play the video... but since the encode actually failed it crashed when trying to find the video file and showed you the crash report. I should be able to fix that part and give a more friendly "could not play file" message.

As for D:\docs\, that's where the source code is on my development machine. The full path gets put in the VidCoder.pdb file, which I include in the program to help me debug issues like yours. :)

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Okay, the behavior should be a little bit better with 0.8.3. But it would still be nice to get my hands on a file that does that. :)