HI - I've tried most of the Commercial/Free Encoders - find this the best!

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM

In my humble opinion, this software is by far the best encoder of Blu-ray movies. Great size/quality ratio.

I've tried just about every other encoder on the net and I find this is the one for me.

The only problem that I've found is that some encodes will not play on my media player but I've got around this problem by running them through Boilsoft Cutter. This program is great for cutting out the credits and it seems to fix any problems I have with my encodes playing.

Keep up the good work - I much prefer this software to Handbrake!

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:40 AM

That's great! Thanks.

As for the encodes not playing... do you get the same problem using the official Handbrake GUI? If it's just the advanced x264 parameters being different I may be able to tell from the encode logs of both.

May 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM

It's been a while since I used Handbrake. If I remember correctly, I had no problems with an older version of Handbrake. Then I upgraded to the later version and I started to have problems.

I then came across VidCoder. Can't remember if I had problem with early versions.

I think the current problem lies with indexing of the movie. Boilsoft copies the movie and takes out unnecessary parts. It then re-indexes the entire thing.

The movie then plays fine on my Blu-ray player, Medion Media player as well as the media player contained in my Kid's Led TV.

Occasionally, I have problems with a re-encoded movies in that when I fast forward it on the TV, it won't go back to normal play. Seems to stay on fast forward. I have to then stop and re-start the movie.

May 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM

If you're having the same problem with HandBrake you should take the issue to them. If they get it fixed, the fix should show up in VidCoder shortly after that.

May 11, 2011 at 5:04 AM

apprently the issue is related to VFR - Varable Framerate which is not supported by current generation of Realtek based media players. The issue is so common that deserves sticky.

In order to fix the issue you need to go to VidCoder (or Handbrake) Settings -> Video> Framerate and de-select "same as source" ("same as source" forces VFR  ) and select original framerate.

You can check the framerate of the original material and also the output file using MediaInfo

Good luck!

May 11, 2011 at 6:31 AM

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Which issue are you referring to. The can't get of fast forward or the won't play in media players.

I noticed if you select same as source in VidCoder - the encode has the same rate as the source movie. In the case of the movie I have just completed. Source was 23.976 frames. I had selected "Same as Source". The finished encode had 23.976.

So I take it that this is not the issue ie 23.976 =23.976 - but the way the encoder arrives at the result. Right?

May 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Hi again,

please check videos produced by new versions of VidCoder and Handbrake with MediaInfo, you will notice thet they have VFR flag set to YES.

You will get rid of of the issues with fast forwarding only when you select framerate manually in Settings -> Video> Framerate.

So, please do test encode manually selecting 23.976 fps (DO NOT SELECT SAME AS SOURCE!) and test the resulting file on your streamer.

VFR is very good feature but it's currently not compatible with too many hardware based media streamers.

You can check the video info also on streamer, Info button should show you the actual framerate but for VFR it shows usually 0 fps which is obviously wrong.

Container wise, MKV is usually more affected by this, while Mp4 with the same streams inside plays and FF-s fine.

Good luck,

May 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Thanks Andres - Understand fully now. I'll give it a go.

Any idea where I can download high quality presets for VidCoder?

May 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I believe, in Hadbrake forums

May 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM
Edited May 12, 2011 at 3:03 PM

They have a nice listing of the x264 presets/tunes that you should be able to paste into the Advanced options box:

As for presets for other media players, you're on your own there. I think the best strategy there would be to find a MeGUI preset for that device and translate the x264 CLI arguments into the advanced options format.