DRC Missing

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Hi all,

First, I love the idea of Handbrake with a better UI - nice job!  One of the features I use all the time in HandBrake is Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) in audio.  Previous versions of VidCoder had it, but now it seems to be gone.  Any plan for bring it back?

Thanks! Will.

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:50 AM

If I recall correctly, previous versions of VidCoder had an empty column labeled "DRC". It's one of the only features I haven't gotten around to adding for real, due to horizontal space issues on the audio panel. That and the fact that I'm a bit mystified about what it's supposed to do and no one until now has commented on its absence. If you want it, yeah I can add it in. Just curious though, what do you use it for?

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM

Basically, it reduces the difference between the softest and loudest sounds in the movie.  In particular, when you're ripping to h.264, it doesn't play entirely nicely with Windows Media Center.  Essentially, you end up having to crank up the volume to hear some of the dialog, and then quickly turn it down when the music comes up, an explosion happens, etc.  1.0 follows the hinting in the multi-channel audio, I generally use 1.5 or 1.7.  It's a real pain that Media Center only supports multi-channel with WMA-Pro, but I've found that ripping with DRC eliminates most of the need for it.

Thanks a lot! Will.

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Added DRC in 0.9.3.

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Thanks so much - 0.9.3 looks great - trying it out now!