average bitrate for dvd as it is?

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM

hi 

i am new here 

I want to know the average bitrate to keep to get dvd to mkv, with all quality of the dvd video.Means i want dvd quality as it is in MKV.

THANKS

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Welcome!

If you are concerned with quality, don't choose average bitrate. Leave it on Constant Quality and pick a number like 20. That will make sure it has good quality throughout the video. You can experiment with the quality: 18-25 is a reasonable range. 18 being very good quality and 25 being lower quality.

And of course you want to be using x264 to encode as it's got the best quality/size ratio.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

hi thanx for reply

but some complicated scene require more bitrate and some normal scene require low bitrate then if we keep CBR the what would happen?

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I'm suggesting Constant Quality, not constant bitrate. This will cause more data to be used for complex scenes and less data to be used for simple scenes. That's because it's targeting a certain quality, and not bitrate at all.

It's better than constant bitrate or average bitrate because it gives you good looking results no matter what, without wasting any data.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

ohh sorry its my bad,

suggest me very good  constant Quality setting considering best quality available to rip dvd to mkv file size is not a matter.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

hi again

can you mail the preset.xml file to encode dvd to

Format
AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1

I have some home video dvd i want them to encode to highest quality

thanxs

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM

If you want really good quality, just set Constant Quality to 18. And pick Passthrough for the audio (if it's supported).

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

and what about getting High@L4.1

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Put this as your options string in the Advanced tab:

rc-lookahead=50:b-adapt=2

That's what the High Profile preset uses.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM

i done that i get only

High@L3.0

thanxs

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I don't know how to make it display L4.1 and I'm not sure what the difference would be. That's HandBrake internal stuff. All the advanced x264 settings are passed in through that Options string.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:04 AM

thanxs 

what is the real difference between handbrake and vidcoder

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2011 at 7:36 AM

The UI. We both use the same encoding core, but I had some different ideas on how to make a friendly and usable interface. Plus I fully implement direct calls into the handbrake core so I've got instant static previews while the official HandBrake client doesn't.

The workflow is different in VidCoder. You can set up your encoding parameters and then leave them out of the way when going through and converting/ripping a bunch of videos. The main screen is all about handling the actual work of going through and converting a video: what chapters and audio to pick, where to put it and tracking the encode queue. The how is tucked away in the encoding profile.

Also there's a few features like batch encoding that VidCoder has, and a lot of other minor little niceties. But as for how the encoded video itself will turn out (given the same settings), it's the same.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM

which is better of two or both are same?

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Well, obviously you'd expect me to say this, but VidCoder is better! They use the same encoding engine but I think VidCoder has a nicer UI.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:15 AM

I dont expected any thing u syaing vidcoder good then u have some reason ,I am agree with ur comment "VidCoder has a nicer UI."

by the way vidcoder not support external .srt.i tried many time.

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 5:21 AM

It does support external .srts. Did you not find the place to add them? Or are you getting an error? Did you choose the right file encoding? I find UTF-8 on both the SRT and in the program works quite well.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM

i find the rite place and added them but when playing in vlc they are not displayed. 

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Did you switch the subtitles track in VLC? They aren't burned in.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM

ya name of track there but words r not displyed

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Are you sure the .srt you're using works? Does it specify words to show up at that time? Do any errors show up in the encode log? Because VidCoder does support external .srts; I've just done it successfully.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:50 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM

ya the .srt when placed directly on vlc the it works fine. but when coded it doesnt show up . no any error log.

thaxs

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Don't know what's up then. If you send me your .srt file I can try it on something and see if it's broken somehow.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM

hi 

you can try any srt. my srt like others.

by the way can you please tell  what mediainfo {source forge .net} tells us.

below is example .i didnt understand many things in them.

audio related things i undrstand well. 

please help.

Video

ID : 1 Format : MPEG Video Format version : Version 2 Format profile : Main@Main Format settings, BVOP : No Format settings, Matrix : Default Codec ID : V_MPEG2 Codec ID/Info : MPEG 1 or 2 Video Duration : 2h 24mn Bit rate : 6 370 Kbps Maximum bit rate : 6 500 Kbps Width : 720 pixels Height : 480 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Original display aspect ratio : 2.35:1 Frame rate : 29.970 fps Standard : NTSC Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Interlaced Scan order : Top Field First Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.615 Stream size : 6.45 GiB (92%) Language : English

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I just told you that my SRT works just fine. So either our SRTs are different or you're doing it wrong.

Also I don't know why you're coming here asking about help from MediaInfo. And do you want someone to go through every setting and explain it in detail to you? Or is there something in particular you want to find out?

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:45 AM

I just asking , cause u are expert in that thts why ?