ETA inaccurate in batch processing in the beginning...

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Hi there,

 

I started a batch processing of about 27 items last night, with both wmv and DVD VOB files (wmv files first, then VOB files after that in the queue).   All using CQ.  When I started the queue the ETA was 7 days.  I was shocked as I knew it wouldn't take that long.   

 

7 hours later (today), ETA is showing 7 hours left.  Looks like ETA is a lot more accurate now (7 hours later).

 

I'm aware that ETA is also affected by any other thing I'm doing on the PC, so the figure could vary a bit moment by moment (it jumps from 7 hours to 9 hours as I am typing this post at the moment), but 7 days seem quite a bit off... .  

 

Don't know if the multiple input file types would have caused this initial inaccurate estimate.  The wmv files were the initial input files and they were encoded w/ CQ 19, while the later DVD VOB files were encoded w/ CQ 20.  The VOB file sizes are much bigger (4GB) vs. wmv files (500Mb-800Mb) though.

 

Perhaps you can look into this... .

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM

When estimating the time for the whole queue it simply makes a guess that the encoding rate (seconds of video encoded per second) will stay the same throughout the queue. This is correct many times when people are encoding a lot of videos with similar input and output parameters but is not guaranteed to be correct, since it's impossible to know ahead of time how fast something will encode. If you've got slower than normal videos at the start of the queue, the initial ETA will be high and if you've got faster than normal videos there the initial ETA will be low. Nothing I can do about that.