video pass-thru and/or another tool that handles audio well

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I use Handbrake for all my rips because I like having my DVDs in MP4 format with 2.0 AAC audio and also being able to preserve the 5.1 AC3 channel as a second audio track and still having a format that's compatible with my PC, PS3, Roku box, Android, and pretty much everything else.  And now that I've found VidCoder I use that instead of the regular Handbrake GUI.

But I've also got a lot of old stuff that is Xvid with MP3 audio.  Or things with multi-channel audio that I need a 2.0 track to play on anything besides my PC.  My only options for that are Avidemux or XMedia Recode or some other ffmpeg front-end that lets me pass-thru the video and recode the audio.  And that's fine, but a lot of times I'd like to preserve the original audio.  Losing the original AC3 track (or MP3 track, or AAC 5.1 track) permanantly just to have something more compatible sucks, but my only other option is really clunky.  I have to demux the audio with something like MP4Box, then transcode the audio to AAC, then remux the original audio as an additional track.

I can't find anything that does this in one step.  If there isn't anything out there, it would be awesome if you could add a video pass-thru option for VidCoder so that I can use that, because it does a great job of handling exactly what I want to do with multiple audio tracks in one step.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

VidCoder's dependent on the encoding engine of HandBrake and the HandBrake team has stated that they have no intention of adding a video pass-through option.

Sorry.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Ahh.  Well it's just a shame nothing else really does a good job with multiple audio tracks.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

@ tostada

following link help you

http://www.selur.de/downloads