Vidcoder is giving scan errors at startup

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Vidcoder is new program for me.  I am not a developer and so my questiion is just as a user.

The scan function when VC starts up has given errors on a number of dvds.

It seems to find the dvd label but the scan errors out.

The dvd drive is an Asus  SATA connect of recent vintage (nearly new.)  Is there a different between IDE and other types of drive connectuions?  The drive functions with prog.s like DVDFab etc.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

You need another program to remove the copy protection from your DVDS:

http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Ripping%20DVDs%20or%20Blu-rays

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ok.

Still experimenting with this.  I saw makemkv as an option.  Used that.  This strange program did it's job and then showed an empty video folder.

In any case I do not know how its output file (if I ever found it) is processed by Vidcoder.  I thought Vidcoder is for making the MKV that, you know, makemkv-- *made*.

also there is something weird on the forum-- no cursor so I know what line I'm on.  :-/

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

MakeMKV takes the raw data streams off of the DVD or Blu-ray and puts it in an MKV container. It's taking the raw data from the disc and putting it on your computer. That's why it's relatively fast. VidCoder compresses the video stream and can process the audio stream.

This has several advantages:

• Smaller file size with comparable quality
  • Can resize the video or do deinterlacing on it
  • Can compress the video and audio in such a way to allow playback on a variety of devices like smartphones
  • Can output to an MP4 container which has better compatibility with devices like smartphones
  • Can change audio volume or codec (compatibility)

If you don't care about any of this and are fine playing large files from your PC, MakeMKV is a fine choice. But if you DO want that extra power, MakeMKV can be used to remove copy protection from the video data before you finish with VidCoder.

And yeah, the forum is a bit weird that way.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I see the logic in your explanation.  And it may be that you do not have step by step procedures for getting the large makemkv file into Vidcoder for the usual reasons.   But when the makemkv process completed, I could find no named file in the c:\video\whatevs folder to bring into Vidcoder.

Where did it go or what was my error?  Is the file extension not recognized ?  What would be the advantage to using AnyDVD or one of the other shareware/pay to use options instead?

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Uhh, it says what folder it's going to before you rip it and you can set a custom output location in MakeMKV.

I let you know the costs and advantages of each program on the page I linked.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM
I will give it another whirl with makemkv.

Is the codeplex discussion for developers rather than users? I noticed
the links went to this mail rather than forum.

Lon
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The discussions section on CodePlex is the forum for VidCoder and it is for users. I don't know what you mean by "mail".

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:38 AM
It got there anyway so I'm trying it again (writing from my mail prog.
which auto loads from your forum update notification.)

Today I successfully used Makemkv to write the big file to the disk and
was able to retrieve it. Then, if all went well, I loaded Vidcoder and
pointed to
the content file beginning with t00 (whatevs.) I haven't inspected the
output file for success yet, but what I expect to see from that is like
doing the RAR process where t00 in this case completed the process of
getting the other pieces.

The output file appears to be named t00mycontent.mkv Is this correct?
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Don't know what you're talking about. VidCoder doesn't load in videos that are broken up into pieces. I don't remember how MakeMKV names its files. Maybe you should try playing it and seeing what's in it?

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I'm back and have had good early success with the combination of Makemkv and Vidcoder.  I will have other Q's as I go but initially the system works cooler and faster writing to the HD than trying to overwork the DVD player.  Even with a three core AMD trying to do all the work from the source disk was  driving my temps way up.

Which thread explains more about how to use subtitle files, embedded, forced or other?  I don't under stand the default option of "foreign" rather than just picking the language (English from drop down menu.)

Thanks for your patience.  One thing I would suggest for Vid Coder is a dialog box to delete the large file that Makemkv makes after encoding with Vidcoder.  I have to consciously remember to delete those large files or I'd be out of disk space (160Gb drive) in no time.

Also I may have to use Open Office to write replies since there's no cursor or spell checker here.  :-/

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

In a movie that's mostly English audio with a bit of another language, you might have two English subtitle tracks: One where everything is subtitled in English and another where only the foreign language parts are subtitled.

The "foreign language search" option tries to automatically find this second type by looking for a track where subtitles display less than 10% of the time.

About deleting the source file after encoding it... I'll think about it. I don't want to get into the situation where people accidentally lose data though.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Source deletion would be a dialog box:  "Danger Will Robinson!  Run Away,  or Delete."

I  now understand about the foreign option I think.  The foreign option should be included along with selection of ENG when Vidcoder shows it's  options.

Where in the forum are tweaks discussed for the default/ option selections in setup? simply put: Are there some standard setting which are used for the majority of source material?

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hmm. How about this. There's an setting in Options: "Prompt to delete source files when clearing successful finished items"

With that enabled, when you clear all finished items it asks you if you want to delete the source files for the successful jobs and lists the files that will be deleted. Click "Yes" and they are deleted permanently (not sent to the recycle bin).

About the tweaks, there's nothing on this forum about it. HandBrake is still more popular; you might be able to find some discussions over there. But generally the "standard settings" are the program defaults/presets.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Maybe I'm trying to do things too fast but I just looked at the program and did not see the prompt you mention.

So using the standard format Vidcoder > Tools > Options ....  ?  What's next?

I do not recall seeing the bulletted option   under   "File Naming"  (which is ticked)  to Ask to Overwrite when doing the operation.  Ask to Overwrite is ticked

and that appears to be only the prompt to delete source file.  Maybe I'm fatigued. 

I will do another practice and see if Ask to overwrite appears as a prompt.

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I was describing how the feature would work if I added it. It's not implemented yet.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Erf.  My bad.

Yes that would be it.

I have tried the option available to automatically overwrite and see if that kills the 6Gb file created by Makemkv.  It's in process now.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I found out that the automatic overwrite did not delete the 6Gb file make by Mkaemkv in it's video directory.