Question about subtitles/alternate audio

May 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Thank you for doing vidcoder... helps me get videos over to ipod/ipad format for my wife (and my wife can run it without me for the conversions).

I see that there is a selection for subtitles but does this actually work for generating ipod/ipad videos? I tried it but no go... 

May 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

If the subtitles are on the source video you can selected "Burned in" and they will appear on any device.

May 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM

what about the srt files?

May 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

The HandBrake core doesn't support burning in SRT subtitles. The playback software has to support soft subtitles for it to work.

May 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I understand. But why do you include specifying this in VidCoder?

May 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I don't understand. You can't specify an imported SRT track to be burned in with VidCoder. When you include the SRT file it will actually end up in the video file, but the player has to support the format, or it won't show up.

May 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM

ah... I get it... bummer with iphone/ipad.... I just need to break down and code this up

May 21, 2012 at 2:17 AM

So searching around it appears that Handbrake has a "hard burn" option on subtitles ( could we possibly add this as an option to vidcoder?

May 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Also from that page:

SRT subtitle import – You can import SRT files into HandBrake through the “Subtitles tab”.

• SRT files are pass-through only. They cannot be burnt into the video.
  • You can import multiple SRT subtitle tracks.
  • You can set an offset (measured in milliseconds) to change the start time that the first and subsequent SRT subtitles will appear. Use trial and error encoding a single chapter to obtain the correct offset.
  • You should make sure the correct character code is selected from the “Char Code” dropdown. Selecting the wrong code, will result in your output file having no subtitle track, and can cause the player to crash when playing that track.