generate preview and play issues on VidCoder 1.3.2.0

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Edited Jul 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Firstly id like to thank you for a wonderful piece of software .

I use version 1.3.2.0 (x.86) on an XP sp3 machine, and have noticed that when i want to generate a preview of a file before encoding the whole thing, in the preview window it shows a button 'encode preview clip' ( instead of play preview ) ,hovering the cursor over this it says 'encodes and plays' clip. Now when I click that , the 'generating preview' message shows along with the green status bar, but towards the end, it slows down and then stops and changes back to encode preview clip . No message if the preview was generated or not, neither do I get a 'play preview' option . However in the %appdata% VidCoder folder, a preview file is generated which i have to then cut n paste into a main folder and play on VLC (to check the settings and quality etc). Is there a way for the play preview to appear within the preview window , as most tutorials say it should ? Or am i missing something here. ps; In handbrake when I click on play , it encodes and then plays a preview automatically.

thank you 

vcfanz

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

It's supposed to automatically play the clip after it finishes. What does the log say when you generate the preview clip?

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Random 

It seems to have been an issue with file associations in XP , and not an issue with VidCoder. Regrets and apologies . It does indeed play the preview when the file associations were corrected in XP.  

Are the preview scans and logs stored in perpetuity in the appdata folder or deleted after say 30 days or something/ manually ? I have unticked the 'keep scans after completion' and 'delete source files after ....'  in Options > advanced . 

thank you once again for an amazing software ( esp the file size option which HB did away with in 9.6 ) 

Vcfanz

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Neither of those options is supposed to clear items out of the appdata folder. Only the latest 10 logs are kept and the ImageCache should be cleared out on exit. The preview encode is not deleted by any option but only the latest preview encode is generally kept.