Which Profile/Settings to choose

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hi,

FIrst of all thanks for making very simple and useful program. I had been playing with Handbrake, Vidcoder and XMediarecode.  XMediarecode has many profiles for almost every device...but I like the quality and simplicity of Vidcoder so I'm going to stay with Vidcoder.

I'm trying to convert my Homemade Videos of wedding/family events.  Most are SD 4:3 PAL. I will crop little bit to better fit on widescreen. How much cropping should I do in order to fit on widescreen?

I want 2 versions: 1 for my Samsung 1080p TV and Second version for my ASUS Transformer TF300 Tablet.  Should I use High profile or Normal preset for TV? Whats the difference?

And which profile to choose for ASUS Transformer? iPad or Android Mid or High? I want 2 hour video to be around 1 GB with reasonable quality (not to high) because I want to store them on the tablet. Please let me know of the settings should i choose/modify. I think it will be nice if you can add profiles for Android Tablets for both 7" and 10.1" screens in the next update!

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

H.264 has some optional features: using the features means more efficient files that are a bit more difficult to play. Some devices can only handle some of the features. The Normal preset doesn't use all the H.264 features but has pretty good compatibility with different devices. High Profile uses all the features so has more efficient encoding but is compatible with fewer devices. I'm not familiar with the playback capabilities of that tablet, though. Android High is almost certainly going to work but you may be able to get away with something more fancy.

I won't be able to add a profile for android tablets though, as I do not have hardware to test with. I generally just stick with the presets that the HandBrake team uses for that reason.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Thanks RandomEngy for explaining the differences between HighProfile and Normal.  I will test encode both of them to see if my TV supports it natively and which gives me best quality. Same for the tablet, I'll try iPad and Android high presets.

I have another question. You know there are additional x264 basic settings in Settings>Video like: Profile, Preset and Tune. All are set to none in all presets. Do i need to play with them? Why are they there and what is the purpose of them.

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM

It's another way of controlling settings for x264: http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings . x264 has a bunch of options which you can see in the Advanced tab, and each profile/preset/tune tweaks some of them, but you can override them all the with manual settings from the Advanced tab. All of the VidCoder presets are done using the manual settings, but you can clear that box and just use profile/preset/tune if you want.