VidCoder adding extra options to Options string

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Hello,

I'm trying out VidCoder, coming from Handbrake 0.9.5. It's appealing since I can keep the Target size option, while having access to newer features like DTS-HD passthrough and the newer x264 libraries. I tried pasting over my options string from Handbrake, but looking at VidCoder's log, it seems to be adding in other (sometimes redundant) options, which seem to be causing problems in the encoding process.

This is my Handbrake options string:

b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:ref=9:bframes=6:subq=10:no-fast-pskip=1:analyse=all:trellis=2:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:direct=auto

After pasting that into VidCoder, I see this in the encoding log:

[15:39:19]      + options: rc-lookahead=50:ref=9:bframes=6:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:subme=10:analyse=all:trellis=2:ref=1:subme=2:me=dia:analyse=none:trellis=0:no-fast-pskip=0:8x8dct=0:weightb=0
I'm unsure if some of these options are incompatible with newer builds of Handbrake or what. Any input/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Are you using two-pass encoding?

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Yeah, it looks like that may have been it. I'm unsure if that's expected behavior on two-pass encoding, I never looked too closely at the Handbrake logs. VidCoder seems to run way faster, only a handful of hours compared to 10+ on Handbrake 0.9.5. I'm impressed so far.

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Yeah those options get added on when you select "Turbo first pass". Though myself I prefer to do one pass with CRF.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I'm definitely out of the ordinary with my encoding preferences, but I'm satisfied with the results I get doing 720p encodes with two-pass encoding. For me, it still gives quite good picture quality with 5.1 sound while maximizing storage capacity on my home server. Again, real impressed with VidCoder; I wish I had stumbled on it sooner. Thanks for the help.

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Thanks! Always glad to see people putting the program to use.

I would encourage you to give Constant Quality another look; I have a page where I explain all about it. It's quite good at maximizing storage capacity as well!