Ideas for the next versions

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Hi,

VidCoder is a great tool I love it.

I have some ideas for next updates:

1. add the Preset Name on the "Customize Columns" in order to see which preset will be used on each item in the queue.
2. add the "When done:" options on the queue items. Add the possibility of "When done:" actions on the elements in the queue. My idea is to be able to perform these actions (Do nothing(default), Sleep, Logoff and shutdown),  when an item in the queue is processed without having to wait for the full execution of the queue.

Thanks in advance

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Thanks, glad you like it!

I'll put the preset name thing on the backlog.

Though why would you want to stop encoding in the middle of a queue? Why stop when there's more work to be done?

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hi RandomEngy,

Thanks for you reply

I am converting all my DVDs/BD to h.264/mp4 (more than 200).
This task is very long and time consuming.
I add several movies into the queue and start the conversion process.
Usually I only do the conversion when I'm at home and when I have to leave the house I have to abort the current conversion.
The idea is to be able to stop the conversion process at end of current file conversion, without having to abort it.
Shutdown the computer and resume the conversion later.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Why do you have to stop the conversion when you leave the house? Are you on a laptop? Why not just pause and put the computer to sleep instead?

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Hi again

It's not a laptop. it's a dedicated HTPC.
For safety reasons I don't leave equipment powered on when I'm not at home.
The process that you indicates, although it may work, it does not seem (IMHO) to be the simplest/easiest and "clean".

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I leave my HTPC running all the time. Are you worried about fires? Computers don't usually spontaneously combust. Also why isn't pausing and putting the computer to sleep "clean"?

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Hi

Thank you for attending my suggestion "Added preset name as optional queue column".
Regarding the other suggestion I'm not able to make you understand my reasons, but I still think that's a good suggestion :)
The main idea is to be able to stop the conversion process at end of current file conversion, without having to abort it and resume later.

Thanks again it's a great tool.
Mar 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Hi...
Thanks for you created such good and convenient video converter...
I think that Vidcoder is converter number 1 by efficiency and now I use only it...

I have some ideas for next updates:
1 - in audio option - instead of DRC make Audio Normalizing... for example as in XmediaRecode...
2 - in video fiters - add such necessary filters as brightness, contrast and saturation...

these functions - audio normalizing and picture settings - are very important and actual for the video converting today....

Тhanks in advance...
( I bring apologies for my inaccurate English )
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM
MenKauRa wrote:
1 - in audio option - instead of DRC make Audio Normalizing... for example as in XmediaRecode...
But they're two entirely different things.

Keep DRC as it is.

Maybe you should suggest an additional option for Normalizing?

As normalizing only works with peaks, I personally don't like it. If the peaks differ from one video source to another, they will still end up with different volumes level.
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
All these features would need to be added to the HandBrake core. I only work on VidCoder, which is the user interface part.
Mar 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM
mike20021969 wrote:
MenKauRa wrote:
But they're two entirely different things.

Keep DRC as it is.

Maybe you should suggest an additional option for Normalizing?

As normalizing only works with peaks, I personally don't like it. If the peaks differ from one video source to another, they will still end up with different volumes level.
It is possible so as you noted - to add normalizing option...
For example - normalizing is necessary for fast converting of video files, downloaded from YouTube, where various videos have various levels of a sound... it is very convenient... and not only I such opinion - I know many people who uses a normalayzer when converting...

Besides, normalizing works not only with peaks... it equates both low and high peaks...
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM
RandomEngy wrote:
All these features would need to be added to the HandBrake core. I only work on VidCoder, which is the user interface part.
Thank you that understood me and answered...
I will look forward to results... and I wish you success in your work which is very important for all of us...
With the best regards...
Mar 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Normalizing detects the highest peak, then the whole volume is increased (or decreased) in relation to the increase of
the highest peak.

But if your audio contains a momentary rogue peak which would not be perceived as being suddenly louder than the rest,
then normalizing may not give you the boost you think you should be getting - in which case DRC would possibly be
the better option.
Mar 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM
I agree with you...
But when I use DRC for low level of a sound, the result often happens distortions... but at normalizing the such it isn't noticed - bottom and top peaks are approximately equated - distortions happen, but isn't so noticeable how at DRC...
Mar 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM
The best thing to do is request your audio and video features via the HandBrake forum:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewforum.php?f=11

If the developers are willing to incorporate your feature requests, then it should hopefully follow on into VidCoder.

Good luck.
Mar 9, 2013 at 6:58 AM
mike20021969 wrote:
The best thing to do is request your audio and video features via the HandBrake forum:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewforum.php?f=11

If the developers are willing to incorporate your feature requests, then it should hopefully follow on into VidCoder.

Good luck.
Likely, I nevertheless will follow your advice...
Thank You for a piece of good advice...