Audio AND video passthrough?

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM
This may sound like a silly request for an encoding tool, but there are some cases where it's desirable to transfer the contents of the DVD to an MKV container with no loss of quality. MakeMKV already does a great job of this, but years later it still has no closed captioning option, despite multiple requests.

A lot of TV DVDs have no subtitles, but they have closed captioning. Every TV show DVD I've used Vidcoder on has successfully retained the closed captioning.

Would it be possible to add a passthrough option for video the same way there is for audio? It would be fantastic to finally have a simple solution for DVD-to-MKV that retains the original video, original audio, chapter markers, subtitles AND closed captioning.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I'd be relying on HandBrake to implement the video passthrough; but they've stated that they don't intend to add it. Sorry.
Jun 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Bummer. MakeMKV could use the competition :)

Thanks anyway
Oct 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I know it's been a few months or so, but just throw it out there. If your looking for a good little tool to compete there. Try MkvtoMp4 , It lets you choose what stream to encode (or none at all, just repack it into an mp4 or m4v. It's originally meant for making compatible vids for Apple devices.