Normalizing sound in Vidcoder other than Gain!

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Is there a remote possibility that some sort of normalizer might be incorporated into Vidcoder in the near future(like Staxrip uses for all sources: Besweet/azid) or does it totally depend on what the Handbrake people do?

DRC is compression only and gain is something totally different as we know. Nearly all the tracks I have seen using either technique never result in a fully acceptable balanced track, either low volume or clipping issues usually follow with aac or mp3 choices.

Plus, if use the Gain procedure e.g +6db and try a tool like aacGain to measure the amount of L and R channels(for your aac mixes), more than often the track is not read, so you are in the dark about the audio channel levels. If the audio to be converted/transcoded is ac-3 and dialog normalisation is not removed/ correctly addressed which these choices(DRC/Gain do not solve) then you have the annoying very quiet voices with very loud action scenes in your audio track. You must have had the situation of persistently turning up the volume for speaking parts and then back down when action scenes kick in? Dialnorm again is a separate issue!

That is why I downmix the source to be encoded to mp3(first extracting the audio) using external tools prior to video encoding, as mp3 can always be normalized correctly and then muxed back into the source.
Aug 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM
If HandBrake adds it, I'll add it in VidCoder.