This project is read-only.

Converting DAT to mp4 "An error occurred while scanning"

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM

I have converted some DAT files before but now everyone I try to load i get the same error message. Also tried unticking the "enable LibDVDNav" box but no change.

Appreciate some help.


Oct 22, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Now as in you get an error with a certain version of VidCoder that you didn't get before?
Oct 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM
No same version different DAT files. Using Super 8 right now and converts with no problem just very slow with that program. Don't know why it won't work.
Oct 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Try it with HandBrake; I use their library to do scanning and encoding:
Oct 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM
I downloaded the Handbrake program as you mentioned. I loaded the DAT file and the output settings were set to mp4 container. It saved fine. I copied it to my thumb drive and put it in my samsung led tv and it did not recognize the file. I then tried to add the mp4 extension but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? The conversion I did with Super8 worked ok when converted to an mp4 but for a 40 minute show 500 mb is pretty big.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:34 AM
What were the versions on each and the logs for the encodes?
Oct 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Edited Oct 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Handbrake 64bit Version

Here are two logs from handbrake:




Oct 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
No I meant a working log from HandBrake and a broken log from VidCoder. What version of VidCoder are you using?
Oct 24, 2013 at 5:16 AM
There is no successful convert with handbrake. One thing I just noticed when I open the properties under general tab in windows file explorer for a video converted successfully with Super8 it shows "MP4 Video (MP4)" but the properties for a converted video with Handbrake shows "MP4 Video (m4v)" which will not even list on my samsung tv. So the question is how do I get Handbrake to convert it as Super8 does?


Oct 24, 2013 at 5:46 AM
I don't know. If you show the encode log to the HandBrake people they might help you.
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM
I figured out in the options under output files to select always use mp4. I converted two files and they worked great.

Now as I got to the third, fourth, fifth file etc. it will not convert anything. I open a file and click start and i get "you must first scan a source".

Using vidcoder i get "an error occurred while scanning". Here is a log for each:

HandBrake Log
VidCoder Log

Again the same DAT file can convert with Super8, but not handbrake or vidcoder.
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:17 AM
If it's erroring out with HandBrake as well I can't do anything about it. I use their scanning and encode libraries. Ask them for help.