Endocing Slow

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Edited Feb 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I have two computers I've tested on.

Originally I changed some setting to get the best quality with converting with the least amount of time and got 8hr on the AMD machine and 30min on the laptop. I figured I could make one adjustment in quality with a little time increase but not what I got. I adjusted the constant quality from 20 to 18 on the laptop and it went from 30min to 8hrs. On the AMD machine it went to 24hrs.

Also, I wondering why the AMD machine is taking so much longer than the laptop?

Here are my machine specs if that helps.

Windows 7 on both machines.

Takes 24 hours to encode 4 45min episodes
AMD Athlon X2 3.11GHZ
6GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

Takes 8 Hours (laptop)
Intel i7 3.00GHZ
8GB RAM
Nvidia NVX 5200
Feb 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM
What settings did you use and what profile? What input file/image did you use?
It seems that there is too much discrepancy between the two machines, perhaps bare in mind that computer settings, hardware configurations, drivers, hidden tasks etc. etc. can play an effective role on the computer performances.
Nowadays often laptops came with specific hardware configurations aimed at speeding the whole system, for example they can have ssd drives and even additional memory ram or hard discs acting as file system.
The desktop computer should have a second hard drive where you save the final work, I always install software on the main drive then have another where I set specifically for software that require to save a job or any task they require.
When you leave the computer on overnight doing conversions, you should always disconnect internet.

I think that the high profile setting is already too good for the final result and you could barely see any difference by increasing the quality even more.
I would leave the settings as they are.
Feb 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Edited Feb 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM
I am using the settings recommended on this website for Handbrake. Custom settings.

http://ericolon.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/the-secrets-of-yify-and-high-quality-and-small-file-sizes-are-not-so-secret-after-all-encoding-high-quality-low-bitrate-videos-in-handbrake-for-any-device/

With the change with constant quality, I wanted to see the difference since the setting on 20 I noticed horizontal lines in the video and on 18 they're not there. Is there a way to get the horizontal lines to go away another way and keep the 30min encoding time?
Feb 2, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Billybobjimbojr wrote:
I am using the settings recommended on this website for Handbrake. Custom settings.

http://ericolon.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/the-secrets-of-yify-and-high-quality-and-small-file-sizes-are-not-so-secret-after-all-encoding-high-quality-low-bitrate-videos-in-handbrake-for-any-device
I wouldn't follow that guy's web page firstly because he uses a quite rude language and even offensive if you keep on reading, secondly someone complained about there files to download containing viruses.
I suspect he is a dumbass from riaa or associates.
Just don't waste your time on that.
Feb 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Now encoding on both machines is extremely slow (8hrs on Intel machine) after reverting back to the settings I had before.