One Vidcoder SpeciaEdition for XP users?

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Edited Jun 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM
To stop the confusing element of which vidcoder build to download for use in XP(by the way updates are now extended up until 2019, contrary to reports on the Net) and to get the benefit of bug fixes from 1.4.25 stable version onwards. Is one version for XP users possible? XP users still rank in their millions!

In essence the last xp compatible Handbrake revision with some important crucial betas merged into one stable 32bit portable version without numerous builds on offer.

Using the last beta compatible 1.5.6 with XP is just too problematic(more buggy than stable despite some good fixes), When switching from basic to advanced the 'deblocking' reverts back to -1 from default each time using high profile, Also some of the other options in 'analysis' change randomly too. I thought having default 0 was always preferable for deblocking.

Only real major bug that I saw with last stable 1.4.25 was the aac passthru & a few other reported minor ones- unfortunately fixed in builds xp users now cannot use. If it is not possible to change, then no problem.

Thankyou Random Energy for a great piece of software.

P.S That's special edition on title. L missed!
Jun 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM
I'm not going to backport fixes for XP, sorry. The updates until 2019 are for the Windows Embedded Industry variant and you have to do some registry hacks to get them on a PC OS. And they'll probably only cover the subset of windows included with that variant.

But nonetheless, I don't feel the need to do extra work to support a 13-year-old OS. If you are passionate enough to want the latest VidCoder features I am confident in your ability to install a modern operating system.
Jun 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM
I can fully understand your sentiments. No problem! Win 7 is a great system(I have it preloaded on a old laptop and use it as we speak, but primarily I use XP as most of my encoding software(32 bit platform works much better with it bug free. By the way the last version of XP compatible Vidcoder beta 1.5.6 shows exception errors and does not load up at all for me in XP Home or pro versions. I use 1.5.3 comfortably, as the 1.5.4 build was showing the same deblocking 'changes' of moving from default 0 to -1 when switching from basic to advanced despite moving it back to default .

Now I tested out your latest beta in Win7(64bit) and this changing from 0 to -1 occurs too in deblocking when switching tabs via the interface. Is it an intentional feature by you? Thanks.
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:00 AM
When you switch to the Advanced tab it populates it based on the settings in the Basic tab. You've probably got a basic tune or something that uses -1 for deblocking, and it's showing that when you switch.