Automatically normalize audio gain to 89 dB?

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM
I know VidCoder can adjust gain to raise or lower the overall volume of the encoded audio. But I can't seem to find an easy way to figure out how much to adjust the gain.

Let's say I want to correct the volume to 89.0 dB (like AACGain or MP3Gain). Not too quiet, not too loud -- the sort of volume that would make Goldilocks happy.

Right now, it's all guesswork. I could raise the gain by 10 and wind up risking a 98 dB file. There's no way for me to tell what the resulting dB level will be until after the file is encoded, and by then it's too late.

So I guess I have two questions:
  1. Is VidCoder already capable of automatically analyzing a source file's audio and adjusting the volume of encodes to 89.0 dB?
  2. If that's not possible and the developers are listening, would you kindly take that feature request into consideration?
Thank you for your time,
Hoboryuken
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM
I use the HandBrake library to do all the encoding and they don't expose anything but the Gain you see in VidCoder. You could ask on their forums to add the ability to scan the audio and normalize to a certain decibel level.
Nov 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Edited Nov 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll be sure to ask them that.

One last question: is there any way to run a program automatically after VidCoder is done encoding a video file? Sort of an, "After encoding is complete, run this .EXE" option?

I'm thinking maybe I can just run the encoded files through the command-line AACGain and adjust the gain that way. :)
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2014 at 1:54 AM
There's no way to run an arbitrary command after encoding.