Can Vidcoder Watch Folder

Mar 25 at 11:15 PM
I have been trying out this software for the past few days and it has been a great help, but I was wondering is there a premium version of this that supports a Watch Folder feature.

Meaning the software would monitor a predefined folder for video files then convert the files to a predefined preset, then delete the video files vidcoder finds replacing them with the converted version?

By the way what would be the correct setting to get Vidcoder to delete the converted files? as it stands now it will convert a file I manually select, Vidcoder will convert it, then place the converted file next to the original in the same folder with a "-1" at the end of the file name. Instead of deleting the original replying the new file with the same name as the old. I have selected all the options in the software that mentions deleting the original files.
Coordinator
Mar 26 at 5:44 AM
There's only one version, the free one. The "delete source files" feature was written assuming you have a system where the non-converted files are in one folder and the converted ones are in another. Having everything in one folder and watching that would be a bit tough since there isn't a good way to tell what files have been converted yet.

I have thought about a "folder watch" feature but I don't think I would try it where the output folder was the same as the input.
Mar 26 at 11:20 AM
Edited Mar 26 at 11:45 AM
Thanks for replying.

I figured out how to get the "delete source files after clearing successful completed items" to work leaving only the completed converted file in the folder. This was accomplished by configuring my file naming settings like this.

Setting destination as "{source}" helps with placing the converted file / files in the same folder.

As far as the Watch Folder feature goes hopefully it someday will be a feature, I have found a program that seemed to be lasted updated back in 2010 called "WatchFolder" that transcode using Handbreak CLI. As well as a few other software that can watch folders. But in my test all these programs fall short in reaching Vidcoder's ability to produce great looking video in a reasonable amount of time with a modern computer.

How can one Dontae to this project? As I have found it extremely useful thus far.
Coordinator
Mar 28 at 6:33 PM
Well, the "Watch folder" as you seem to like it would be a bit tricky. It would need a way to tell the source files apart from the converted ones. And it would only work if the extension on the input file was different from the output one. I'd have to check to make sure the conversions don't go in an infinite loop. There might be a useful feature there; I'd just need to figure out what exactly I want it to do.

I assume your input videos have a different extension from the output?

If you appreciate VidCoder you can donate to the Against Malaria Foundation.
Mar 31 at 3:58 AM
Your correct, my input format are are different from my output file, they are usually mkv or avi and I use Vidcoder to transform them into mp4's. I have been using a ffmpeg project called "sickbeard_mp4_automator". But unfortunately it falls short in the ways one can customize of the output file and speed is no where near what Vidcoder can do. I am not a coder but I am willing to help out anyway I can.

Against Malaria is a great cause.